Saturday, May 03, 2008

UMA POETISA INGLESA


XLIII

Elizabeth Barrett Browning

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.

I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.

I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints,--I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life!--and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

XLIII

Como eu te amo? Impossível saber os meios.
Eu te amo com a profundidade de abismos e altitudes,
onde a alma alcança o azul da visão das plenitudes,
Para além do próprio ser, do ideal e dos receios.

Eu te amo dia a dia, com cândida beatitude,
desde da luz da manhã até ao anoitecer;
eu te amo livremente, sem leis nem poder;
eu te amo com orgulho, com paixão e atitude.

Eu te amo com um amor que parece desencanto,
com a fé infantil, que permanece forte,
E inabalável como a dos crentes e dos santos.

Eu te amo com paixão, com lágrimas e sorte.
E se Deus o quiser, implorando aos prantos,
amar-te-ei, também, até depois da própria morte!

2 comments:

Adenildo Lima said...

belo poema!

Adenildo Lima said...

belo poema!